Monday, May 23, 2011

Methinks it's a roo

So, we may have identified the first roo in our little flock of chickens. The Welsummer, a huge bird, got us thinking about whether it was really a pullet. Its comb is developing more rapidly, and it's a giant. So, after picking it up the other day, and looking at its feathers, I noticed some really lovely iridescent green feathers... growing out of its tail... awfully pointy, and even a little curly. LJ sent me a message today to say that it is limping... I think he may be making up an excuse to cull a rooster from the flock. :) Me, I say let's see how it goes. Would be an awfully pretty roo...

5 comments:

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

They can be pretty.
Until they start cockle-doodle-doing at 4:00am. Sharp.
Although it would be a good way to have your own chicks in a while instead of having to buy them!

Miriam said...

He sure sounds like a rooster. I think the Great Rooster Lottery (how many pullets? How many cockerels?) is half the fun of raising chicks.

Paula said...

hmmmm...that's a good question. The babies would be barnyard crosses, but I don't know if they'd be decent layers or whatever.

You live in the country, so you can have a rooster. If one of my girls turns out to be a rooster, I guess I'll find out sooner than later if I can off a chicken.

Rachael said...

Oh boy. I know this feeling. We've got a straight run of a dozen Americaunas. For some reason we always seem to end up with more roos. I'm hoping this year we can at least break even with 50:50. ours are still too young to tell.

Rae said...

Lindsey- Yeah, we're wondering if we could handle crowing. If anything, we'll give s(he) some time to put on a bit more weight. That way, if we do decide to cull, we'll get a more substantial meal from the loss. Sure would be a pretty roo, though...

Miriam and Rachael- We're not supposed to have too much of a lottery, as we bought sexed chicks, but with an approx 90% rate of success on the sexing, we're bound to have a couple roos. One good thing about having so many I suppose, (I still think 22 is nuts) is that a couple roos won't impact the flock too much. :)

Paula- I don't think we'll bother with raising our own chicks. Maybe once for the fun of it, but I like the idea of buying a certain breed and knowing what I'm going to get. As far as offing your first chicken, I'm sure you'll do fine. You're a very practical gal. In any case, too early to worry about it just yet. :)