Sunday, September 23, 2012

A drive in the woods

Took a drive up above Molalla today. Henry had fun running in the woods. Lots of good smells. Especially after Gus went and rolled on a snake (retch). Plus, Henry had rot gut today, so it was a very fragrant trip, even with the windows down!

Got home and set up my new deer stand. Very cool. If I don't get a deer, may have a chance at a bear (lots of big bruin poopy piles around the property) or a coyote (got me a new predator call at Cabela's this weekend!)

Buck season starts next Saturday. Yay!

3 comments:

Paula said...

oh yeah...doggie rot gut...that is one thing I DON'T miss about living with dogs.

Do you ever have elk on your property? Steve and I were at his sister's this weekend and I wound up helping her husband gather what was left of the apples that the elk left. We had dinner at the Joel Palmer House a couple of weeks ago and Steve's elk was delicious and now I think I know what to do with the elk steaks you gave us. I mean, you can treat them like beef, can't you?

hope you get your quarry....

Rae said...

We don't have elk here. Just bears, deer, bobcats, coyotes, and (I wouldn't be surprised), cougars.

What we gave you is from a deer LJ shot last season. Personally, I cook the crap out of game, but that's just me. Look up venison recipes online. LOTS out there.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Rot Gut!?! Hilarious! I have a pug and rot gut would seem to be every other day. I've never known a dog to fart with such chronicity and longevity.

I think venison has to cooked lower and slower that beef, right? It's like that with bison b/c of the low fat content....

Great. Now I want venison...