Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas joy is nine feet tall

We are officially in the new house, though most everything is still in boxes and a lot is still at the old house. I can't find my toothpaste, and have been using the awful stuff that LJ prefers. It's exceptionally foul, and tastes like baaad cough syrup... bad cough syrup that BURNS! It also destroys my taste buds, and makes it impossible to enjoy coffee for an hour or so after brushing. Blasphemy, I know. Must find or buy toothpaste, but the stores are so scary this week. I may have to hit a gas station for a travel size to get me through the holiday.

We did get out to buy a Christmas tree this last weekend, and are taking full advantage of the vaulted ceilings. We brought home a nine foot tree. For me, accustomed to 6', the extra 3 is insane and fabulous! I actually had to use a ladder to decorate it. I don't know why, but that just makes me smile. I walked around with perma-grin all weekend. I love that the house smells like Christmas tree and wood smoke. Reminds me of going to my aunt's for Christmas when I was a kid, which gets me thinking of the pogo ball I got one year. Pogo balls were awesome if you had blacktop or concrete to use them on. We had dirt and rocks. Required a lot more coordination.

I love the holiday season! I like giving people presents. I like the get togethers, the food, the smells, and the music. Other than the crappy traffic and overcrowded parking lots, it is my absolute favorite holiday. I've stocked up on enough peppermint roca to get me through summer, and enough peppermint stick ice cream to get me through February, I think.

The one thing that bums me out a bit is that I didn't get the chance to make any presents this year. We just haven't had the time. Last year I needle felted two ornaments for LJ's mom, replicas of her two jack russells. They were fun to make, though my fingers were tattooed with needle pricks for weeks. I'll post a couple pics of the finished product if I get a chance to get on a real computer someday soon. They were a lot of fun to make, and not too difficult. I just bought the needles and wool and winged it. I may need to make Easter presents next year to make up for the simply purchased presents this year. More likely, I'll forget and just try to do better next Christmas.

2 comments:

Paula said...

I love Christmas too! I only get down to visit with my whole family every three years or so, but the gang's all there when I do come.

Next year, we're not going anywhere, and next year, I'm having a tree (darn it!). I can't even remember the last time I had my own Christmas tree. I am married to a man who doesn't give a hoot about Christmas, except for the food. So I think I'll make up for lost Christmas trees by buying a bunch of swell ornaments for next year's tree! Right now, I'm enjoying the smell of my sister's tree. I think it's a Noble fir, but it could be a Fraser. I can't remember how to tell them apart.

RE: toothpaste- you could always use baking soda until you find it, and if you have some peppermint extract, you could put a drop of that on for minty freshness.

Merry Christmas!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Man, I hate moving. I hope never to have to move again.

I totally remember those pogo balls. Hello, 1985!